Re: [Balloon] Cross-building debian packages

Author: Chris Jones
To: Neil Williams
CC: balloon
Subject: Re: [Balloon] Cross-building debian packages
On 09/05/2013 09:41, Neil Williams wrote:
>> I'm trying to cross-build a Debian package - ppp, as it happens. I can do
>
> Not all Debian packages have cross-build support built-in. Some, like
> ppp, do not understand how to use a cross-compiler and assert the use
> of cc despite attempts to get it to cross build. The package would need
> modification to cross build.

Ah, OK. That makes sense.

>> but it just builds me the native (amd64) version. Am I missing
>> something? At the moment I'm having to build it natively on a Bubble
>> board which is excruciatingly slow.
>
> Is there an alternative armel platform available for the build?

Sadly not...

> What about using the existing Debian armel package:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/armel/ppp/download
>
> (or are you patching ppp or adding it inside buildroot?)

I'm trying to debug a problem with pppd which is crippling things for
one of my customers, and 2.4.4 (from lenny) works but 2.4.5 (from
squeeze) doesn't. I've removed one patch (always_setsid) from the series
and rebuilt it and am about to test it.

> I can have a look at providing a patched package, possibly later or
> simply uploading a cross-built package somewhere if the changes you
> need are checked in somewhere.

Thank you for the offer - I'm hoping that when I've identified the
problem properly there will be a fix which doesn't involve rebuilding
pppd to be non-standard. Fingers crossed!

Chris

--
Chris Jones -
Martin-Jones Technology Ltd c/o Element Energy Ltd