[Yaffs] Writing a single file marks entire device as bad

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin at egholm-nielsen.dk
Wed Jul 20 15:04:47 BST 2005

Hi there,

I've been trying to patch my 2.4.20 kernel with the YAFFS source from CVS.
I've got it up and spinning - sort of! :-)
I can do "mkyaffs" on my device. I can mount the device "mount -t yaffs"
without any complains.
If I touch a (non-existing) "file" it's being created (size 0). However,
the kernel says:

**>>ecc error fix performed on chunk 0:0
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 0:1
**>>Block 1 marked for retirement

If I try to write any data to the device - e.g. "echo bah > someFile", I
get the following million messages:

=== 8< 8< 8< ===
**>> yaffs chunk 65373 was not erased
**>> yaffs chunk 65374 was not erased
**>> yaffs chunk 65375 was not erased
**>> Block 2042 retired
**>> yaffs write required 64862 attempts

and the entire device is marked bad.

My mtd-kernel-source is from CVS-2005-03-04...

I'm suspecting the ecc/oob management, but have no clue to how to
disable it?!
The yaffs-rootfs-howto states that this is "fixed" in the latest mtd
cvs, but the document has no date, so it's difficult to say what
"latest" means ;-)

BR,
  Martin Egholm