[Yaffs] Patch: build yaffs2 in kernel tree

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Jul 27 21:50:02 BST 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 16:06, Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Charles Manning wrote:
<snip some stuff answered by Marty>

> And I don't even mention lack of FS tools... It looks like nobody noticed
> that they do not build at all and that "../nand_ecc.c" from their makefile
> last time was at that location when dinosaurs ruled the Earth... I had to
> spend several days to hack and bandaid them to get the tools build without
> a kernel tree and to make them really work. And that's just YAFFS1, tools
> for YAFFS2 are still in pre-conceptional stage, aren't they?

Sergey, the lack of current tools for YAFFS2 are something that I, and I am
sure others, are aware of. I don't get paid to do continuing yaffs work for
Linux (like YAFFS2 etc) and nor do I use Linux on embedded platforms myself.
I do it purely out of some sort of community warm-fuzzy.

For the most part, the yaffs1 tools have fallen into disrepair because they
are not directly useable on many systems. You need to tweak ECC etc to get a
match with your mtd. So, for the most part people take the yaffs1 tools and
fiddle with them to get what they need. This is not optimal at all.

If you would like to be part of the solution, then that would be great.

> So, are you going to make it into the mainstream kernel?

As Marty said this is current work-in-progress.

> BTW, I can make a tar.gz of YAFFS1 tools that build and work tomorrow if
> anybody cares to have those. Sure, one can use nandwrite/flash_erase/etc.
> but mkyaffsimage/mkyaffs are much easier and handier.

If you send them as patches against the current yaffs1 CVS I will apply them.

If you would like to make a set of tools for yaffs2 (essentially really some
modifications from yaffs1), then that would be great. If you can take on
their continued maintainance that is even better :-)

--Charles