[Yaffs] Fwd: Re: Handling YAFFS in Linux --> the next wee while

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Jul 28 02:48:20 BST 2005

Hi YAFFSers

Behind the scenes, Marty, Luc and I have been doing quite a lot of
discussion/planning on:

* Where yaffs Linux is going in the short, medium and longer terms.
* A brief timescale for the shorter term stuff.

The short term action plan we have, I think, settled on is as follows:

1) Rest of this week accept patches. Try to integrate as much good stuff as
possible. Thus, if you have Good Stuff patches, please submit them ASAP.
Please make these off CVS to make them easy to integrate.
2) Next week. code clean-up and any CVS restructuring etc required.
3) Week after, defered problems and new features. psatchin, utils etc.

At that point we should have a very neat source with a patchin etc that should
make YAFFS just "plug in and go". THis is also something we can start trying
to push into the kernel.

To make things realistic, the focus is first going to be on the yaffs2
codebase (incuding yaffs1 backward compatability mode) for 2.6.

The intention is to do as much messy stuff in step 2 as possible to keep
disruption to a minimum. We will try to keep CVS sane at all times, but I
expect that this will not always be possible (think of it as a building
site :-) ). CVS will be tagged at the start of each phase, and snapshot
tarballs will be saved.

2.4 support will not be intentionally dropped or broken, but if it does fall
over then we'll, come back later to put it back on its bike.  If, however,
someone really feels strongly enough to be a 2.4 champion during this action
plan, feel free to volunteer.

-- Charles