[Yaffs] Some other uClinux & Yaffs memory problems...

Ludovic Guilhamat lguilhamat at perax.fr
Tue Aug 2 10:31:09 BST 2005

Hi,

I've been tested Yaffs for some hours now, and I'm in front of some
memory problems.

I use a 2.4.22 uClinux kernel, and the mtd which went with it.

I'm working on a 2MB partition. I run a stress program which creates a
'big' file (512kB), erases it, and then creates some little files (1024
Bytes) before erasing them. This process loops.

When I do a 'df -h', I see that my partition is full after only 3 loops.
It's like the erases didn't accomplish successfully...

I see a similar problem when some of the created little files are on the
partition : after having stopped my stress program, I want to erase some
of the files. If I do it one by one, the 'df -h' shows that there is
empty space that grows, but if I rm files by packets ('rm tests_0*' for
example, which erases 16 files), the 'df -h' shows that there is less
memory space than before deletion...

Nevertheless, if I umount and remount my partition, the memory space
grows.... It's very strange (it's like a process (gc ??) was activated
only during mount or umount...).

Finally, once my partition have been full, I don't success in emptying
it by 'rm' files. The only way I have to empty my partition is to
'mkyaffs' it...

So, I ask for some advices and ideas again...

Thanks and regards.

Ludovic.