[Yaffs] News about my Yaffs & memory space problems...

Ludovic Guilhamat lguilhamat at perax.fr
Mon Aug 8 13:26:52 BST 2005

Hi,

I found some  other clues about my problem, but I didn't fully manage it
yet...

Brief summary : I want to use yaffs on linux-2.4.22 kernel with uClinux
(m68k coldfire), and with the MTD of the 2.4.22 kernel. (I attempted to
backport a newer MTD, but without success for the moment). My Flash is a
Samsung 16Mb Nand.

So, my problem occurs when I erase a file on my 2Mb partition. More
precisely, it occurs when I want to copy/create some other files. Hence,
I think it's the garbage collect process that is the source of my
problem on my system. Here is the log:

* after erasing the file :

yaffs locking
___________ really free is 3033, pending 1001, nFree is 4034
yaffs unlocking

* When I want to recreate a file after an unmount / mount :

nand_read_ecc: from = 0x00909e00, len = 512
nand_read_oob: from = 0x00909e00, len = 16
nand_write_oob: to = 0x00908000, len = 16
nand_write_oob: Failed write verify, page 0x00004840     <----- This
corresponds to the (falsely) damaged marked blocks that I see when I
nand_write_oob: to = 0x00908200, len = 16
nand_write_oob: Failed write verify, page 0x00004841     <----- want to
format my partition.

* Finally, here is the interesting part of 'cat /proc/yaffs' :

nPageWrites........ 10
nPageReads......... 181
nBlockErasures..... 0
nGCCopies.......... 0
garbageCollections. 3     <----- It seems that at each garbage
collection, 8Kb are used on my partition (is it normal ?). Then,
passiveGCs......... 3          <----- I find 104Kb used, instead of 80Kb...
nRetriedWrites..... 0
nRetireBlocks...... 3

Once again, if you have some ideas, I'll take them !

Thanks and regards.

Ludovic.