[Yaffs] Re: mv problem

bbosch at iphase.com bbosch at iphase.com
Thu Sep 22 01:40:51 BST 2005

OK.  Perhaps I should just keep quiet since I don't have much
technical to contribute at the moment, but I just can't ignore this
abuse.

Sergey Kubushyn writes:
 > I'm trying to help.

Polite, well researched bug reports and patches are usually considered
help in the open source community.  Instead, you seem to be making
demands and attacking the volunteers who are actually trying to help
you.

 > OK, as I understand you're trying to say that every single kernel is unique
 > and there is no way to fix that yaffs/mtd problem because of that
 > uniqueness?

Charles has already stated that the YAFFS/MTD interface problem is
recognized and is actively being worked on.  The fact that the mtd OOB
data interface has changed several times over the years to improve and
to keep up with new devices and the fact that YAFFS tries to support
several kernel and MTD flavors makes things interesting.  Check the
source and the mail archives for hints on how to make it work with
your kernel.

 > It is the noble decision to make something for a community. And nobody
 > forces anybody to do so, it's a matter of personal choice. But if one

Yes.  This is a good time to say thank you to Charles and everyone else
who has contributed to YAFFS!  I think most of us who use the code
do appreciate the rapid response and the continuing efforts of all
involved.  It is nice to see so much new work on the Linux side of YAFFS.

 > OK, if you don't need any help and prefer to "fix mtds" forever and to keep
 > your creation in diapers for years, go for it. I'd rather withdraw from the
 > list.

As an observer of this exchange so far, I think that might be best.

 > I just tried to kick somebody's ass to make them do something. Looks like it
 > doesn't make any sence, nobody here wants to solve problems.

As most of us learn rather early in life, ass kicking is usually not the
best approach to provide or obtain help.

--Brad Bosch