[Yaffs] Yaffs and MTD

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Dec 12 20:16:36 GMT 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 23:18, André Tousch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently using yaffs on a new linux embedded device,  and I made my
> tests by simply implementing the write / read / erase / init methods, and
> setting it manualy in yaffs_internal_read_super.
> My question is : What is the advantage of writing a new mtd driver for a
> yaffs filesystem? (I don't plan to use another flash filesystem, and don't
> plan to use already existing mtd drivers).

Yes there is: performance.

The structure of mtd is mainly embodied in nand.c which is a generic chunk of
code that tries to do (almost) all things for (almost) all silicon. While I
think the mtd folk have done a good job of trying to meet that goal, a chunk
of code that is written to only work with one set of hardware  obviously has
potential to be a lot more streamlined and faster.

Some people are forced down this track anyway because they have some very
different hardware (eg. two NAND chips in parallel being treated as a single
NAND chip).

-- Charles