[Yaffs] Question about unliked and deleted directories for yaffs2

Lance Ware lancee.ware at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 18:11:10 GMT 2005

Charles,

    Thanks for you reply,  I am still tracking this problem.  I have been looking at the code for YAFFS2 and have found some quite compelling situations.  First during testing, I set the immediateDeletion variable to 1 and I am no longer experiencing the problem of lost blocks upon reboot.  I know that this means that I am no longer using the soft delete process. I am recovering all the space lost between system reboots and have been power testing my system for 3 days with no intermittent data loss.  I know that this isn't the proper way to do file removal.  But it seems to remedy, not cure, the problem of space lost between power cycles.  This raises the question of YAFFS2 being stable between power failures and the cost of speed in relation to reliability during power failure.  Upon dumping the flash on the YAFFS2 with immediateDeletion not set, I have seen that the data from the removed files does exist in the unlinked directory but the header of the files show a size of zero. This is cool but the space is never updated in the free block area.  And even during aggressive garbage collection the space is never reclaimed. I don't know how this might tie into the problem but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks again,
Lance