[Yaffs] YAFFS2 Robustness issues?

+ (text/html)
Author: Chris Gofforth
To: yaffs@lists.aleph1.co.uk
Subject: [Yaffs] YAFFS2 Robustness issues?
We have come across the following error which caused our system to hang on
startup after power was removed. We were writing files to NAND when the
power was pulled.

yaffs bug detected …/filesystem/src/yaffs_verify.c:473

After I enabled the YAFFS_TRACE_ERRORS, I saw:

yaffs tragedy: Bad object type, 1 != 3, for object 4 at chunk 20870 during
scan yaffs bug detected.

Before the yaffs bug message.

Can someone tell me what this message is saying, and would it be OK to
treat that chunk as invalid and ignore it?

Also, after investigation of the yaffs_yaffs2.c and yaffs_verify.c logic,
I noted there are many checks that only print out a message via the
‘yaffs_trace’ macro, but do nothing about it.
I also noticed several ‘yaffs_verify_XXXX()” functions which have no return
values, they only end in this BUG macro, where the file name and line is
printed out, then a while(1) happens, halting everything.

Should yaffs not handle all issues, and not just hang?

Thanks

Chris Gofforth / Pr Software Engineer

MS 131-102, Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Phone: 319-295-0373 Fax: 319-295-8100