[Yaffs] Sorry state of YAFFS1 :((

Sergey Kubushyn ksi at koi8.net
Sat Sep 17 00:55:14 BST 2005

Hi!

OK, I've been absent for a while and what I see is that YAFFS1 is still in
that same sorry state :((

Guys, does anybody among you use 512-byte page devices? Or we are so
outdated and they are long dead and everybody switched to $1 per piece 2 K
page 32 Gbyte devices? Please advise where can I buy a bunch of those...

I can understand mismatched MTD and YAFFS ECC (there should be no such thing
because you use read/write_ecc functions passing nand_oobinfo structure
explicitely, but hey, it's an excuse anyway no matter how dumb it is). But
it always spits a whole log of those infamous "**>>ecc error unfixed" and
"**>>Block XYZ marked for retirement" even when using YAFFS ECC. There is no
such excuse in that case because it reads back exactly what it put there
itself. No matter how it's configured, YAFFS1 does NOT work. And it does NOT
depend on MTD version, it doesn't work with any including both older and
most recent versions.

All the noice comes from one file, yaffs_tagscompat.c. Looks like YAFFS1 got
long abandoned and nobody works on 512 byte page devices. BTW, that makes me
think 2 Kbyte page device YAFFS2 is hardly in better shape. I don't have any
such devices on my boards at the moment to test but I don't beleive it
really works.

Unfortunately enough I don't have time now to rewrite that entire stuff and
make it really work, working 12-14 hours every day to meet our deadline, but
it looks like there is no other choice because all our OS and applications
are stored in NAND...

Sorry for a rude tone but I have never seen such a raw, nonworking,
abandoned project :(( I do understand that nobody has any obligations to
support it but we are responsible for those who we tamed...

I don't even wanna start mentioning tools that don't exist and I'd rather
bet anything on that they will NEVER be written...

P.S. And don't even mention 2 years old yaffs/ tree - it doesn't compile and
     won't work with 2.6.x kernels...

---