[Yaffs] Sorry state of YAFFS1 :((

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Sep 18 00:28:18 BST 2005

On Saturday 17 September 2005 11:55, Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> OK, I've been absent for a while and what I see is that YAFFS1 is still in
> that same sorry state :((
<snip a whole bunch of sometimes true and sometimes abusive stuff>

I hope that was good therapy for you Sergey.

Yes, some of what you say is somewhat true. YAFFS and mtd often work well
together and currently need quite a bit of manual effort to get them working
together. There is quite a bit of howto info on this, particularly the stuff
by Nick Bane, so this is typically not too hard to do.

Outside of the mtd interfacing issues I can assure you that YAFFS (1 and 2)
work very well and provide a storage backbone for many high-reliability
products. Those that are not using mtd (ie. are using YAFFS outside of Linux)
generally have a much simpler time.

The YAFFS2 stuff is generally a lot cleaner because it uses the new mtd model.
A few changes are still required to the mtd to use the new model for 512-byte
page devices with YAFFS1. When those changes are in place YAFFS1 interfacing
should become a lot cleaner. Behind the scenes there has been quite a bit of
effort trying to straighten out issues by trying to get mtd to be more YAFFS
friendly.

-- Charles