[Yaffs] Sorry state of YAFFS (YAFFS2 now), patches

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Thu Oct 13 03:12:47 BST 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 07:31, ian at brightstareng.com wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 12:57, Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
> > Guys, nand_read_oob() (and write too) _NEVER_ read (write)
> > oobavail part, it has _ALWAYS_ been working with _RAW_ oob
> > data !!! That is from as far back as I can see until today.
> > Your mtdif2.c file used to read the oob and pack tags from it
> > starting with bad block indicator and following reserved byte
> > since version 1.0 and it still does that in the latest
> > version. That means YAFFS2 _NEVER, EVER_ worked at all.
>
> See postings titled: [Yaffs] yaffs2 oob offset problem
> from August 2005.
> http://www.aleph1.co.uk/pipermail/yaffs/2005q3/subject.html
>
> Others have had similar problems, and others *do* have Yaffs2
> working after various MTD/YAFFS hacking.

I didn't see the original posting since Sergey has a special place in my kill
file, but the point made above is quite frustrating for me and most of the
YAFFSers wanting a "just works" scenario.

I think the actual URL Ian wanted to post was:
 http://www.aleph1.co.uk/pipermail/yaffs/2005q3/001411.html

There is a problem with the mtd interface, that I have raised a few times with
the mtd folks.  There is currently no way to read just the OOB with
AUTOPLACE.  As Ian says, people have had to hack things to make this work.

YAFFS **has** been working well for many people and has been in various
shipping products for well over a year now - just not those who insist on
using a stock mtd.

I have suggested a few fixes, and Thomas has acknowledged the problem and said
a fix is coming, but I have not seen anything new.

What would be really nice is if someone could take this issue, fix it on both
sides and work the changes back into mtd CVS.

-- Charles