[Yaffs] PATCH!!! PATCH!!! (Was Sorry state of YAFFS2)

Villatora Virgilio vvillatora at seltatel.it
Fri Oct 28 13:12:16 BST 2005

> Martin wrote...
>Um, no, the _kernel_ is called Linux.  I have no idea what *your*
>application is, but since very few people have *ever* wanted to mount a
>2k nand device as their rootfs, even using a Linux kernel, it would be
>extremely inaccurate for you to call your application "Linux".  You may
>as well have called it GCC, since, presumably, that's the compiler you
>compiled it with.

Hi all guys.
I'm new in yaffs...even if my subscription was made in June.
I'm reading this trail between Sergei and other yaffers since several weeks.

I'm interested in yaffs because the company I work for has delivered a product with yaffs (first version) aboard.
We have the need (as a lot of companies working with NAND flash devices, I think) to switch to yaffs 2.
This is because 512 byte page devices are going in obsolescence.

This is a problem that involves companies that buy lot of devices at a time (not one or two pieces.... :(   ).
Then it's very important, for the future of yaffs filing system, to be able to mount yaffs2 as root ...

I have to admit that Sergei is angry for some justifiable reasons... even if he is TOO angry...

The chance to mount yaffs file system as root is very important for a lot of embedded systems where
costs have to be taken low... (It,s not cost effective to have several devices on your board...)

Then I would give you a suggestion.
Please, try to patch this problem as quickly as possible.
The future of YAFFS2 is by the way...

I think that Charles Manning would not be happy to see his creature so mistreated....

I all and good work...

Regards

      Cordiali saluti
     Virgilio Villatora
	Selta Telematica SpA
	Via Nazionale Km 404.5
	64019 Tortoreto Lido TE
	           ITALY
	dir. tel. +39 0861 772 546
	fax +39 0861 772 555
	mailto:vvillatora at seltatel.it
	http://www.selta.com

privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message
disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or
omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in
error.