[Yaffs] PATCH!!! PATCH!!! (Was Sorry state of YAFFS2)

Nick Bane nick at cecomputing.co.uk
Fri Oct 28 14:22:12 BST 2005

> Hi all guys.
> I'm new in yaffs...even if my subscription was made in June.
> I'm reading this trail between Sergei and other yaffers since several
> weeks.
>
> I'm interested in yaffs because the company I work for has delivered a
> product with yaffs (first version) aboard.
> We have the need (as a lot of companies working with NAND flash devices,
> I think) to switch to yaffs 2.
> This is because 512 byte page devices are going in obsolescence.
>
> This is a problem that involves companies that buy lot of devices at a
> time (not one or two pieces.... :(   ).
> Then it's very important, for the future of yaffs filing system, to be
> able to mount yaffs2 as root ...

As I mentioned before, this is working fine for me.

> I have to admit that Sergei is angry for some justifiable reasons...
> even if he is TOO angry...

Yes partly.

> The chance to mount yaffs file system as root is very important for a
> lot of embedded systems where
> costs have to be taken low... (It,s not cost effective to have several
> devices on your board...)

As I already posted to this list, I addressed this issue last weekend as
we needed this functionality. It took a day to figure out what needed
doing, update bootldr, update the kernel (this was for auto resizing the
boot partition) and modify mkyaffsimage to be a useable mkyaffs2image.
Its not scary and its the same issue (or was) for jffs2 that has hardly
died a death either.