[Yaffs] [YAFFS2] About Using NAND emulator

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Sat Dec 10 22:10:20 GMT 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 15:28, 이태훈 wrote:
> I can't mount yaffs2ram file system on linux-2.6.12-mm2

You must be using pretty old code. yaffs2ram support got removed a few months
back.

I suggest you read http://www.aleph1.co.uk/pipermail/yaffs/2005q3/001504.html

and see how to do this with nandsim.

> I make device like below.
>
> mknod /dev/mtd0 c 90 0
> mknod /dev/mtd1 c 90 2

That is not enough to make a real mtd device.

> but whent I try to mount a yaffs2ram file system. I get an error:
>
> [root at localhost 2.6.12]# mount -v -t yaffs2ram /dev/mtd0 /mnt/nand
> mount: /dev/mtd0 is not a block device

There are two things you are doing wrong:

1) If you use yaffs2ram or yaffsram file system then yaffs does not use a
block device. It uses its own internal RAM. You need to mount it as follows:

# mount -t yaffs2ram none /mnt/nand

2) If you want to mount yaffs with an mtd device then you must use the block
version of the mtd driver called /dev/mtdblockn and you must use the version
of the file system that supports an mtd block device (yaffs or yaffs2):

# mount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/nand

> So I make mtd0 to block device. like this:
>
> [root at localhost 2.6.12]# mknod /dev/mtd0 b 90 0

That does not change the internal stuff. mtdblock0 is rally a fake block
driver and just changing the attributes will not change the internal
associations.

-- Charles