[Yaffs] Re: can't see files after umount (Lance Ware)

Sergey Kubushyn ksi at koi8.net
Tue Dec 20 23:37:14 GMT 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Charles Manning wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 December 2005 07:54, yuri.golovach at mindspeed.com wrote:
> > I'm using latest mtd (slightly patched by myself, because it uses
> newest
> > functions, which aren't presented in 2.6.11) with kernel 2.6.11.
> >
> > First of all I want to thank you for a help. I've tried to use
> Sergey's
> > patch and now I've no problem with mount/umount for small size files.
> >
> > But.. I've received anouther problem - I can't copy files with size
> more
> > then 1Mb. So, if i do this and do mount/umount I can't see them
> after. So,
> > Sergeys patch was nice, but it doesn't fix the issue with big files.
>
> Sergey's patch does not completely fix the problem. It makes some
> assumptions
> about byte positions. I expect that what is happeing is that the tags
> are
> still getting corrupted and above a certain file size the tag
> corruption
> causes data to go missing.
>
> I suggest you make sure that all the tags bytes are being passed
> correctly.

My patch does NOT making any assumptions if we are talking about the latest,
proper one. The very first one, quick and dirty DID make assumptions that's
why it was quick and dirty. The last one uses OOB layout that is used by MTD
driver. And this is the MTD driver who lets the patched YAFFS know what the
layout is. As a side note, it does not put any restrictions on the layout,
that does NOT have to be continuous, available parts do NOT have to be of
any particular size etc. It DOES work with ANY OOB layout provided there is
enough free bytes for tags (no, it can't fit an elefant into a matchbox but
this is the only restriction.) And it makes the CVS YAFFS2 work with any
stock MTD. It also packs the tag structure so pads do not take space in
OOB.

---