Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?

+ (text/html)
Author: peterlingoal
To: yaffs
CC: Charles Manning
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply.

I am quite confused about the bad block management methodology, seems both
MTD and yaffs2 have some kind of bad block control. The problem of my case
is, after some period of usage, the yaffs2 file system on some NAND begin
to fail. Remounting with ignoring checkpoint could recover the file system,
but for once only. The file system is still boomed after reboot and mount
(with checkpoint).

I tried to read the codes of yaffs2 about scanning if checkpoint is
ignored, and got confused. Seems yaffs2 driver is querying status of each
block (in function yaffs2_scan_backwards). My question is:

1. what does function yaffs2_scan_backwards do?
2. MTD keeps a BBT (in NAND in my case), how does yaffs2 module obtains
the BBT information? Why rescan from backward is needed in my case in order
to recover a file system.
3. After recovering the system, seems the bad block information is not
saved. So re-scan is still needed after a reboot. This is my guess, please
correct me if I am wrong.

Also I am using a quite old version of yaffs2 ( back in 2010). What's the
most recommended stable version of yaffs2, and the kernel MTD driver
version? To cut some boot up time I am saving BBT on NAND and reuse it
after reboot, will this make any negative impact? I am interested in block
summaries, but I would like to stick to checkpoint at the moment.

I am new to kernel level debugging, so I am quite lost here. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks!

regards,
Peter