Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?

Author: Charles Manning
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Disadvantage of using yaffs checkpointing?
On Friday 04 May 2012 00:30:55 peterlingoal wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I am quite confused about the bad block management methodology, seems both
> MTD and yaffs2 have some kind of bad block control. The problem of my case
> is, after some period of usage, the yaffs2 file system on some NAND begin
> to fail. Remounting with ignoring checkpoint could recover the file system,
> but for once only. The file system is still boomed after reboot and mount
> (with checkpoint).
>
> I tried to read the codes of yaffs2 about scanning if checkpoint is
> ignored, and got confused. Seems yaffs2 driver is querying status of each
> block (in function yaffs2_scan_backwards). My question is:

I suggest you read the HowYaffsWords doc. You can find that on yaffs.net or
find the openoffice doc on the yaffs git.

>    1. what does function yaffs2_scan_backwards do?

This function scans the nand partition if there is no checkpoint. It reads the
tags and builds up the file system state.

>    2. MTD keeps a BBT (in NAND in my case), how does yaffs2 module obtains
>    the BBT information? Why rescan from backward is needed in my case in
> order to recover a file system.

Yaffs calls the MTD function to determine if a block is good or bad. Yaffs
does not know or care if mtd used a bad block table or not.

>    3. After recovering the system, seems the bad block information is not
>    saved. So re-scan is still needed after a reboot. This is my guess,
> please correct me if I am wrong.

> Also I am using a quite old version of yaffs2 ( back in 2010). What's the
> most recommended stable version of yaffs2,

I suggest using a more recent version. I would recommend using the current
HEAD.

> and the kernel MTD driver
> version?

Sorry I don't keep current with all mtd changes and cant't advise that off the
top of my head.

> To cut some boot up time I am saving BBT on NAND and reuse it
> after reboot, will this make any negative impact?

I don't see that this will cause any problems. yaffs does not care how or if
you store bbt info.

> I am interested in block
> summaries, but I would like to stick to checkpoint at the moment.

If you use the new code you will get summaries as part of the improvement.

> I am new to kernel level debugging, so I am quite lost here. Any help is
> appreciated. Thanks!

We've all been there.