Re: [Yaffs] Can someone help me mount an existing yaffs file

Author: Jason
To: yaffs
Subject: Re: [Yaffs] Can someone help me mount an existing yaffs file
Charles Manning <cdhmanning <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 10 September 2013 08:44:05 Jason wrote:
> > I wanna add that I've tried a nandsim and while the end result mounted a
> > mtdblock, the only contents were a lost+found folder. I also tried unyaffs
> > but the end result of that just says "end of image".
>
> Hello Jason
>
> This is almost certainly an issue with the way the tags have been written as
> different flash drivers use different layouts.
>
> If you put the file on Google Docs or whatever and email me a link I will
> take a look.

Just wondering if you had any luck Charles?!

I'm gonna add to my original post hoping it could draw some more help.

I am working on a project for a client that involves taking the software
from their cash register and loading it onto an ARM development board with
very similar hardware. The company that made the software said they would
only give me the binary files that are loaded into the flash memory and
respectfully declined to help me any further, which was to be expected.
They, at least, were able to tell me my concept is entirely possible!

I was told the software consists of 3 filesystems: a ramdisk, xlib.yaffs
(which runs the communications), and an app.yaffs (which loads the
software). I am not sure if the flash memory chip plays any role into how
the files were "compressed" but the chips are:

Samsung K9F1208U0B - 64mb
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/83764/SAMSUNG/K9F1208U0B.html

All 3 file systems are (ext2) Montavista Linux 3.3.1 running a 2.4.18 or
2.4.20 kernel (I don't remember and I lost my notes). I was only
successfully able to mount the ramdisk. The 2 yaffs files can "mount" but
all that is in the directory is a lost+found folder. Below is an init
script I found in the ramdisk that has commands for loading the yaffs files:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/b08ctvpe4ur8d7i/sps2000_init

And here are the 2 yaffs files I am trying to mount:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mzk55b4qq0q10f9/xlib.yaffs
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bvea3038y31g9s8/app.yaffs

If anyone is able to help me mount them that would be awesome, (I would
really love to learn how to correctly mount them) otherwise a zip file of
the contents would be very much appreciated.

Thank you to anyone for their help!
Jason