[Yaffs] Re: can't see files after umount (Lance Ware)

Sergey Kubushyn ksi at koi8.net
Tue Dec 20 20:18:09 GMT 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 yuri.golovach at mindspeed.com wrote:

I don't know why are you having this problem. I haven't seen such a
behaviour. It has plenty of other bugs that they don't wanna fix (e.g. that
hardlink code that screws up the FS after several hours at most making the
entire system unusable because kernel crashes while trying to mount the root
FS,) but this one I've never seen. As of now it is totally unusable in
production environment, especially if you're trying to use it as a root FS.
We DO use it here at my place but only as a read-only FS that's used to
populate a tmpfs root FS on bootup. As a matter of fact we probably
shouldn't have used it even for that purpose, regular FAT FS with a single
tar.gz would've been sufficient, but we left it as it was just to save time.

I stopped working with them because they got abused, like small children, by
my comments and stopped taking my patches, detailed bug reports etc. at all
(not that they were taking them before getting abused but that's another
story.)

The only way to get this thing working, IMHO, is to take it into your own
hands and fix the bugs you encountered yourself, probably rewriting half of
the code from scratch. Give up all thy hope if you think they will make it
work (not even mentioning "with a stock kernel" and "reliably") in current
century. Don't also bother with sending patches etc. - they do NOT take them
and 99.99% of bug reports is simply ignored, especially those coming from
people they don't like...

Sorry for raining on your parade but that's how it works now...

BTW, they DO try to sell their "help" on YAFFS. On per-hour basis. I don't
wanna say this is the reason why their CVS source has NEVER worked with a
stock kernel and MTD but one might get suspicious...

> I'm using latest mtd (slightly patched by myself, because it uses
> newest
> functions, which aren't presented in 2.6.11) with kernel 2.6.11.
>
> First of all I want to thank you for a help. I've tried to use Sergey's
> patch and now I've no problem with mount/umount for small size files.
>
> But.. I've received anouther problem - I can't copy files with size
> more
> then 1Mb. So, if i do this and do mount/umount I can't see them after.
> So,
> Sergeys patch was nice, but it doesn't fix the issue with big files.
>
> Can u help me with, or, in a case if u have no such issue - plz, send
> me
> your yaffs2 patch (or maybe, if it's not difficult for you, can you
> send
> me your yaffs2 in .tar.gz file)?
>
> Or maybe someone can give me a e-mail of Sergey?
>
> Thanks,
>         Yuri Golovach
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:57:05 -0500
> From: "Lance Ware" <lware at datadesigncorp.net>
> Subject: [Yaffs] can't see files after umount
> To: <yaffs at stoneboat.aleph1.co.uk>
>
> What kernel source tree are compiling the driver under?  I had a
> similar
> problem in 2.6 until i looked under Sergy's patches for the
> yaffs_mtdif2.c.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Lance
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...